The pumpkin seed butter is popular as a delicious and nutritious creamy spread. People love to use pumpkin seed butter as an ingredient to prepare a wide variety of recipes in addition adding the same to various snack items. You can see the pumpkin seed butter displayed across the health food stores along with other nuts and seed butters. But the butter can easily be made at home by using the raw or roasted pumpkin seeds.
Further, you can make a creamy pumpkin seed butter having a smooth and uniform texture or chunky pumpkin seed butter containing pieces of pumpkin seeds. Once you make the butter, you can include in the regular diet of your family to provide your kids with high amount of protein, potassium, calcium, iron, and zinc along with a set of other nutrients. Also, the hypoallergenic of the pumpkin seeds will make the butter a perfect replacement for the nut butters to secure your kids from potential allergy concerns.
- 200 grams of pumpkin seeds
- oil as per the need
- seasoning (optional)
Add the pumpkin seeds to a coffee grinder and process till you get a fine powder. The powder can be allowed to contain a few chunks of pumpkin seeds.
Transfer the potato seed powder to a food processor and start processing. During the process, keep adding one tablespoon of oil till you get the desired consistency. You have to allow the butter to remain a little bit runnier in comparison to the normal consistency, as the pumpkin seed butter will be refrigerated for thickening.
Season the butter based on your taste. You can add a dash of sea salt in addition to some additional ingredients like honey. Transfer the seasoned pumpkin seed butter to a glass jar and store inside the refrigerator.
During the refrigeration process, the oil will be separated from the peanut seed butter. So before serving the butter, you have to stir the glass jar properly.
- 2 cups of raw shelled pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower, canola or sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Toast the pumpkin seeds by swishing around a dry pan. Remove the lightly roasted pumpkin seeds after 5 to 10 minutes or once the seeds get a warm golden hue. Allow the roasted pumpkin seed to cool at room temperature.
- Add the lightly roasted pumpkin seeds to a food processor or wand-style hand blender and grind till you get a fine powder. Now stir in the food processor or wand-style hand blender and honey or maple syrup, salt and allspice into the container. Blend and puree the ingredients for 5 to 10 minutes or till you get a smooth butter. By processing for a longer time, you can get much smoother butter.
- Transfer the pumpkin seed butter to a glass jar and refrigerate till the time to serve your guests.